Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ommegang Three Philosophers Quad

Fate has decided to keep me on my Belgian kick of late. My brother, who I've been missing brought over this one along with another fabulous beer the other night.

It was a great night too. We ended up at The Haven in the Orange Circle where again, I had some MORE great beers. It also was momentous for the four guys there because it was the first time we had all gone out and all been married. I had to smile at that, it made me happy. My brother, the youngest at the table by years, is also the longest married.

I've thought about buying this in the store about a thousand times and I also serve it at the wine bar I work at but I've never really had the impetus to pick it up.

This was the first beer from Ommegang I've had and I have to say that I was underwhelmed. It was good, nuanced, the kriek(2% cherry ale) came through as did the darker ale but what I really didn't like was that getting down to the last few sips, where the beer shoudl evolve, but in a good way, all I got was alchol. I know this is a quad and is heavy but good beers shouldn't have that burn in my opinion. I expect the burn from my whiskey but not from my beer. Even some beers that I've had at nearly twice the alchol masked the presence well.

I did however enjoy it until the last 3 or four sips.

No comments:

Post a Comment