Monday, October 11, 2010

Avery Salvation Strong Pale Ale

I have never not liked a beer from Avery and the streak continues with Salvation.

This strong pale was noticeably lighter in color than most other pales I've had but that in no way detracted from my enjoyment of this beer.

Sweet on the nose with Belgian candi sugar, grapefruit, lemon and some spice, this American version definitely does its Belgian Brethren justice. Even at 9% ABV I couldn't get very much alcohol on first whiff.

Salvation has a decent amount of body and it only get chewier as it warms. It's light on the bubbles but it's just the right amount to not be drowned out in sweetness.

The alcohol also helps to overcome what could have been too sweet but instead is a perfect accompaniment to the slight hops bitterness. Overall a great beer that I think just tops Goose Island's Matilda, definitely outranks Russian River's Damnation, and slaughters North Coast's Pranqster(Golden Ale).  

I will never pass up the chance to drink Avery. I'm REALLY looking forward to opening up a Kaiser that I have been cellaring since last year. It's fall and that means new bottlings!

No comments:

Post a Comment