Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Russian River Damnation

Damnation. Sounds ominous. Which is exactly what Russian River was going for here. 

With lots of citrus on the nose it was very clean smelling. Fresh, and bright which belies what I would taste later a bit.

Very, very crisp with a lemony twang, some earthiness, malty sweetness, and a little bit of cedar, this Belgian strong pale ale clocked in at 8% ABV and it definitely lives up to it's namesake. I've had brews that were much higher than 8% that hid the alcohol well. When I drink a beer I'm not drinking it for the alcohol taste. Unfortunately Damnation was not balanced well enough for me. There was definitely that warm alcohol burn throughout this beer and the aggressive carbonation only added to a beer that I thought was already a tad too acidic.

This is not one I would order again

No comments:

Post a Comment