Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Flying Dog Double Dog Pale Ale

The labels for Flying Dog are always interesting, but this one as little bro put it was a little disturbing.

What looks to be a baby in a diaper with a rabid chihuahua head eating two beers graces the front of what I would call an imperial IPA rather than a double pale.

This is definitely one of those ones that could be very dangerous if you don't read the label.

This is an imperial because it's 11.5 ABV. Little bro had no idea beer could be that high. I told him about BrewDog. Crazy Scottish people. I love their IPA's Punk, Harcore, not so crazy about Bashah.

This poured a nice burnt orange certified IPA color.
Nuclear Pinecone aroma with a tinge of citrus, and some caramel surprisingly.

First sip, BITTER. The label says that balance was their goal since they threw a bunch of malt at this one. Hence, the 11.5 ABV but this was not balanced on first sip. It says it's only 85 IBU but woo boy bitter. Good, bitter.

After bitter? Alcohol, the 11.5 definitely says hello to your palate with that little tingle of heat.

Like any good imperial though there was big body and low bubbles and as it warmed up the balance came into play with the malt opening up and a sweetness on the back end of a LONG finish completing a satisfying beer.

Yeah, I know the price is 2.99$ Expensive because it came from a mom and pop shop literally a block from my house. I go there when I am too lazy to drive over to BevMo or Total Wine. This was one of those times.

1 comment:

  1. I just had this one last week and really enjoyed it! Everything you wrote, from the description of the label to the flavors and aroma, spot on. I think it was $2.49 for a single in Total Wine Florida.

    Nice review. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete