Monday, July 5, 2010

Oskar Blues Old Chub Scottish Ale

A semi recent phenomenon in the beer aisle has been showing up even in the big box chain stores. Even New Belgium(Fat Tire) is getting into the act. Cans. Yes, cans.

Why cans instead of bottles? Lots of reasons.
Cheaper
Lighter
Stackable
Smaller
They don't break
No more light funkification
Quicker chill, aluminum is a better thermal conductor

I'm not a convert. It's weird. It feels weird opening a "good" beer out of a can. When I pour it I feel like I'm pouring a can of Coke. It doesn't pour smoothly like a bottle. Plus any of my friend who are either drunk, not paying attention, or both might actually grab my can of "good" beer thinking it was Miller Light. Bad. Very Bad.

This was my first experience with Oskar Blues and I had high expectations. I love Scottish Ale. Smoky, peaty, malty. Kinda like a good Scotch with bubbles without the alcohol burn and the 75$ price tag on a bottle.

First sip I was not impressed. It was really grainy, and I don't mean that it just tasted OF grain. It was not smooth, like there was actual grain still in it. What was weird is that it went away when it warmed up. Anybody got an explanation?

Thank goodness this got better. The aroma was not overpowering with malt, some raisins, grain, smoke, and what little bro described as musk

This became a slightly better than average Sottish Ale when it warmed. Very earthy, more raisiny sweet than some others I've had. The smoke and peat was there and I liked it but I wouldn't pay the over-the-top price for this one again.

I'll stick with my Sam Adams Scotch Ale.

No comments:

Post a Comment