Saturday, September 11, 2010

Goose Island Matilda

Belgian-style. When I hear that I think fruit, I think sweeter. It's the yeast, and it seems to be Europe in general. Quick, name an American beer that's on the sweeter side of an accepted style. I can' think of one. Almost all pale ales from the US lean towards the bitter end. Kona's Fire Rock Pale has got a little citrus in it but nowhere near the sweetness of Goose Island's Matilda.

Sweetness isn't a bad thing, I love Belgian and Belgian-style beer. It adds an extra nuance to the taste. Another layer of flavor is a good thing in my mind. As in wine, a complex beer is a good one. I don't want one note wonders, I want something to think about. What's that flavor in there? What's that one? I also want it to last. Matilda has both of those in spades. Not to mention it's pretty to look at. I want one of those glasses. I wish I could have taken my own picture, this one is from their site, but D and I were with some friends and I felt a tad self-conscious whipping out the camera.

Hazy burnt orange, the aroma was near non-existent. There was a bit of spice, maybe some vanilla. Regardless this was not a nose torcher. This is a Belgian Strong Pale so at 8%ABV I was thinking I might catch some alcohol but it was well masked both on the nose and on my tongue.

Great bubbles, not too much, and with a light medium to medium body. There was a bit of sourness, similar to a saison (Dupont or Du BUFF). Lots of sweet tropical fruit and honey with just a touch of bitterness on the back end. I enjoyed this one and with that 8% it warmed me up a bit. Good beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment