Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Stone Dogfish Head and Victory Saison Du BUFF

This was one of the first beers of the PRE bachelor Party Weekend and it was a GREAT one. This is a collab brew from Stone, Dogfish Head, and Victory brewing companies. Though not in that order these three brewers are in my top five of all time.

BUFF stands for Brewers United for Freedom of Flavor, and let me tell you there was a LOT of it.   Saison du BUFF is brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme and the same recipe will be brewed three times during 2010 at each of the three breweries. Stone(April), then Victory(July), and finally Dogfish(August). Obviously this one was done close to home at Stone since it's only June.

This is a crisp satisfying beer that has a lot of spice, black pepper, coriander, and reminds me of Thanksgiving(Rosemary, sage, parsley). There are underlying notes of lemon, pine, a little citrus, and a little bread. I know what you are thinking. do I really want to be drinking a roasted turkey? Trust me, you do. This beer is immensely complex and satisfying at the same time because the aromas and the taste coincide and are recognizable without being overwhelming. There's none of this, "what am I smelling? What IS that taste"? You know it and you like it.

I will be picking up more of this to drink and for sure will be looking out for the next two batches to compare. That will be an interesting experience. Will they be different? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment