Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Rogue Mocha Porter

Well I love porter, really anything dark, I love coffee, and who doesn't like chocolate? All of those flavors are NORMALLY usually found in a porter anyway so when "Mocha" is in the name I figure there is some extra added flavors. Nope. Uh uh, no way.

That's not to say this was bad just, well, false advertising comes to mind.

There was not much aroma to speak of though it did pour a really deep chocolate brown with a LOT of head that lasted for longer than I could wait for it to leave.

The first taste and first thought was, wow, there is WAY too much carbonation for a porter in here. I like my porters smooth and silky. I know that's tough without a nitro pour but there were just too many bubbles in this one.

Like I said taste was underwhelming. Not much toast, not much roast. Not much coffee, definitely not much chocolate. Disappointing. This was a pretty lackluster offering from a brewery that I have liked in the past, but have not been excited by lately. I was surprised to see that Brewadvocate and RateBeer both had high marks for this one. Just goes to show you how subjective these things are.

This is definitely not a repeat. If you want a GOOD coffee based dark beer their Cappuccino Stout is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment