Monday, June 21, 2010

Rock Art Golden Trippel Guest Review

 Two milestones for this post, one old, one new.

1)I actually have posted OVER 100 times and totally didn't even notice it. Yay me.

2)This will be the first guest review I have been lucky enough to have here. My East Coast Beer Cohort JD will be reviewing for today. We've done some beer brainstorms before but I am honored to have him review from that OTHER coast.

So, without further ado.
Well, my vacation is over.  It was an awesome week off, and I’m going to start working on a way that I can do it more (e.g. winning the lottery).  If anyone out there would like to fund me sitting on my butt all day and drinking beer, please contact me ASAP. 
Before I go on,  I’d be remiss if I didn’t thank Tyler for hosting my review tonight.  He and I have next done the guest review thing, but we have done two beer brainstorms: Young’s Double Chocolate Stout and Avery IPA.  Thanks Tyler!


I’m anti-celebrating going back to work with a bottle of Rock Art Golden Trippel.  Right from square one I can tell that this beer is an odd one.  I failed to get a bead on what was in the aroma (smelled slightly sour), so I fell back on reading the label.  GINGER!  This is clearly nothing like any other trippel I’ve ever had.
The beer is golden in color, as advertised.  The head was minimal, but hearty and fluffy: it doesn’t fade quickly at all.

Taking my first sip…YUP!  That’s ginger alright.  I’m not a huge fan of ginger.  Rock Art gets points for originality though.  Seems like there is something else in the flavor – maybe citrus.  The beer is complex for sure.  There are multiple flavors going on here, and I don’t think I can identify them.
The brew is 100% on the sweet side.  No hints of bitter at all.  It checks-in at 8% ABV, but the booze is pretty well hidden by the sweetness.

At the end of the day, I have to give props for uniqueness.  I’m not sure I can get by the ginger flavors though…it’s just not my bag baby.

Josh (A.K.A “Lost”) started his blog Lost in the Beer Aisle in the spring of 2009.  The goal of the blog is to write about beer in an unintimidating way, opening the world of craft beer up to everyone.  When Josh isn’t working or drinking beer he can be found on the golf course, or at home reading about World War 2 history.

2 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued and slightly concerned by this review. I'm not sure I'd sign up for an overly sweet trippel with ginger aromas. But thanks for trying it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an odd brew! Funny, I just had the Magic Hat 'Odd Notion Summer 2010' which is another beer from Vermont with ginger in the mix. Interesting, but nothing to write home about either. (I did write a review though?) Ha. Anyway, I'd probably pass on this Rock Art offering.

    ReplyDelete