Friday, June 18, 2010

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra Pale

This was actually a present surprise. I mean, I know that Sierra Nevada was one of the very first craft breweries to start the revolution and coming from Chico, CA near my hometown I've naturally had a few of their ubiquitus pale ales but I really wasn't expecting much out of this EXTRA IPA. I was wrong. Did it blow my mind? No. But it was good.

This was another PREbachelor party brews that was picked up by my buddy from NorCal who's pretty obsessed with Sierra.

On the nose there was some pine, grapefruit, all the normal smells out of a classic IPA, which is pretty much what this is. A very classic, non-over-the-top West Coast IPA. Not too bitter, not too sweet. Nice head and retention. Crystal clear coppery orange.

It was good. I'd get a six.

2 comments:

  1. It's looking like we agree on a lot of beers. I felt the same as you about the Torpedo. Not mind-blowing, but good. I was surprised at how not intense it is. I consider the Sierra Nevada Pale to be one of the most aromatic and flavorful regular pale ales on the market. So I expected a double strength pale with the Torpedo IPA. However it isn't just a double pale, this beer has its own personality. I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it did definitely stand apart from their pale. I'd get the torpedo over the pale any day now.

    ReplyDelete