Monday, June 28, 2010

Green Flash Hop Head Red

MMMMmmmmm. This was REALLY REALLY good. 
Both in bottle and on tap. So good I bought another bottle.

Green Flash Brewing company is fast becoming one of my favorite breweries. I have reviewed a couple of their offerings before(Imperial IPA, West Coast IPA) and I will be RE-reviewing the West Coast IPA with a MUCH more favorable opinion soon.

I had Hop Head Red on tap at Tustin Brewing Company during the first US-England World Cup Game. The vuvuzelas were in full effect and there was even a guy draped in an England flag, a giant Uncle Sam hat and LOTS of U-S-A chants. Oh, and beer. Lots of beer.

The bottle asks if this is a "Red IPA"? My answer is without a doubt yes. Bitter is something I have come to expect from Green Flash and this one delivers with exactly the right amount.

I know this is an awful picture but this pours a really clear brown copper color. It's not as red as most "red's." The only real aroma off of this one is bitter, pine, teeny grapefruit, and a tad of bread maltiness. IPA? Definitely.

The taste is where this one differs a bit from the traditional IPA. It has a creamier mouthfeel, more like a DIPA, there's not too many bubbles which in my opinion is good. It's silky smooth with enough bitterness to balance the sweet caramel malt.

It's definitely a pinecone, but with some maltiness to back it up.

I'll be buying more.



3 comments:

  1. I agree about Green Flash being a reliably good brewer. I'm most familiar with their West Coast IPA and it is one of the IPA standards in my opinion.

    I've seen the Hop Head around but never tried it. Based on your review sounds like I'll have to.

    Curious about one thing - the bottle label refers to it as a Red Ale, but your description indicates that it's basically a double IPA in style. Other than the color, where does the red ale part come in to play? Or is it kind of like an imaginary "Double Imperial Red Ale" style, with all the hops of a double IPA but the flavor and body of a red ale? Color me fascinated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not a DIPA in bitterness but it has that more filling mouthfeel of a DIPA. It's a bit sweeter then your average IPA so that's where the "red ale" comes in. Maltier then an IPA but more bitter than a classic red. Also lower in alcohol than a DIPA or imperial red.

    ReplyDelete