Monday, June 7, 2010

Lagunitas The Hairy Eyeball

I've reviewed a few Lagunitas brews before and I have been nothing short of impressed with all of them. That is, until "The Hairy Eyeball." I was really excited about trying this beer as it had gotten good reviews and it sounded very nuanced and layered and complex. All those words that make a beer a pleasure to drink. Unfortunately it didn't live up to its hype.

I was expecting this big sugary smelling malt bomb but there wasn't much there. I went back and read others' reviews and maybe I got a bad bottle? Mine was boring. I even let it warm up to see if anything came out and nothing.

Taste was malty, a little bitter, with some licorice and molasses and a HEAVY alcohol burn on the back end. I mean this was only 8+ABV and I have had beer pushing 12+ that hid their alcohol better. I really couldn't get over that aftertaste and it became more pronounced as it warmed.

I was dissappointed. Especially since the name and label with that eyeball looking out at you is so cool. Oh well, this was the first Lagunitas brew that has let me down. Maybe a case of high expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment