Monday, May 24, 2010

Deschutes The Abyss

Deschutes holds a special place in my heart as I have mentioned before(Here and Here). I grew up skiing at Mt. Bachelor and taking family trips down the brewery's namesake river. Black Butte is synonymous with porter as far as I'm concerned.

That's why I was stoked that "The Abyss," a much exhalted beer lived up to its reputation. Going head to head with another imperial stout that had been aged in barrel, The Bruery's "Coton," Deschutes' beer came out on top as far as I'm concerned. No bias here, the deciding factor for me was that I could actually drink and finish "The Abyss." I wanted to drink "Coton" I swear. It's one of the most complex beers I have had, probably, well ever. The problem was it was just TOO much bourbon. I mean it tasted more bourbony than straight Jim Beam. So much flavor though, but I had to fight it every teeny tiny sip of the way whereas "Abyss" was a pleasure to drink.

The aroma coming off "The Abyss" was sweet but not cloying. There was a lot of roasted sugar, toffee, and licorice but it wasn't overwhelming unlike the "coton." I wanted to keep smelling the "coton" because it smelled good but there is definitely a little too much of a good thing there. "Abyss" on the other hand strikes a great balance between overpowering and underwhelming. I could have my nose glued to the glass and be happy.

The only taste knock on "The Abyss" was that I felt like it had too much carbonation. I like my stouts smooth and it was a little too prickly on the tongue. It had wonderful roasted coffee, milk chocolate, vanilla, toffee, and licorice flavors that melded together beautifully. Each rolling into the next as the taste lingered. The coffee and chocolate flavors were not bitter and the toffee was not too sweet. There wasn't too much roast in the taste but enough to balance the sweet.

This definitely is my all time favorite stout.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment