Saturday, March 6, 2010

Brew Dog Punk IPA

Ever since I read about Tactical Nuclear Penguin, the 32% ABV "beer" from these guys I have been intrigued by Brew Dog. I liked their packaging, I liked their website, and since penguins are my favorite animal, near and dear to my heart(tear, sniff) they had me at penguin. The first beer from Brew Dog I actually tried happened to be a collaboration with Stone out of Escondido, CA "Bashah" which I wasn't really impressed with. I sure am glad my parents taught me not to quit on anything because "Punk IPA" is really good. It may even have taken over my #1 IPA slot currently held by Dogfish Head's "90 Minute IPA."

The best part of this beer last night was that I got to share it with my brother who I don't get to see very often since he moved out to the BFE cowtown. How, in Southern California, can a town feel like it is in the middle of nowhere? I mean, the main road his complex is near actually has NOTHING on it at one point. Weird, wish he was closer though, not because I like the guy or anything, but he brought good beer to the party. Coincidentally also an IPA. But on to the Beer!

Pour: Haystack yellow and a little hazy at first it clears up after a bit. Not a huge head and it doesn't stick around for real long. Decent lacing on the side

Aroma: Pine, Pine, and Pine, with some Sweet Pine thrown in. Methinks this is an IPA.

Taste: Obviously this beer has some bitter, it's an IPA but I definitely got grapefruit right off the bat. That tart sweetness in this beer brings it all together really nicely. What was strange was as it sat the grapefruit taste was less distinct but that malty sweetness was still there. There wasn't a whole lot of bubbles like I have come to expect from many of the IPA's I have tasted. It made for a nice mouthfeel as it had some body to it that wasn't washed out by the carbonation. I could drink a few of these and they aren't real expensive at 3$ for a 22 oz.

No comments:

Post a Comment