Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sam Adams Scotch Ale

Over our what seems like weekly meal of chili and rice I talked D into trying out this beer. D is really good about at least trying a sip of NEARLY everything I have. I promised I wouldn't make her try anything TOO bitter. IPA's are not her thing. I did however have her try a sour ale from The Bruery on our date night Sunday though, sorry CC. Remember bitter beer face? This was sour beer face. Sorry!  She wasn't as excited about that one as I was. She also wasn't real fond of the Scotch Ale although there was no excruciated(but entertaining) face that went along with it.

I was really surprised by how much I liked this beer. In general macrobrews are not my thing, they promise so much and deliver next to nothing. This is the fourth Sam Adams I have tried out of their Brewer's Pack. I reviewed their Cream Stout and reviews of the Coastal Wheat and Prima Pils will be coming.

Appearance: Clear dark copper with not much of a white head. No lacing and the head was gone nearly before I could take a picture.

On another note I'm not sure why the head is such an important thing. I mean, there are reasons WHY there are bigger or smaller heads and people say that it releases more aroma(skeptical) but to judge quality from that is wrong in my opinion. A dirty glass or one with soap residue will kill the head no matter how quality the brew.

Aroma: This one fell down here. Not much to smell. Beer, maybe?

Taste: This one really had a good flavor. Four different types of barley including one that is peat smoked like Scotch Whiskey. The smokiness definitely came across in the front end of the sip and it mellowed out into a slightly sweet malty note at the end. Inbetween those two was a nice little bitterness and the whole thing lingered for quite a while.

Overall: Very impressed and it is even a bit higher ABV like a proper Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy. Definitely a drink again.

1 comment: