Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Belhaven Scottish Ale

I had this one at The Olde Ship in Santa Ana. We were there for Other Asian's birthday. This is the third year in a row that we have met at this very classic British pub. It serves the classics like fish and chips(fries), bangers and mash, and some token Indian dishes in homage to the role that culture has played in their shared history. The portions are huge and the prices are not bad.

The taps are all European and they only have a couple crappy American macro brews in bottle. If you are going to a pub why are you drinking that stuff anyway? They have a 6 taster option but our waitress ever so nicely hinted it wasn't a good idea, how did she put it, "Don't get too fond of that because I don't want a lot of people ordering it." Ok so I guess one pint it is!

I was in the mood for an ESB(Extra Special Bitter) but they keg was dry. What? Grrrr. So I opted for the next best thing, a nice Scottish Ale. I love whiskey and the malty smoked peat flavors in the Scottish Ales always cheers me up.

Unfortunately this one didn't quite come through on the smoky peaty goodness. It was a little sweet like most, a tad bitter, and a little flat. I liked the mouthfeel which was medium and velvety. The head was decent, and the finish left before it began. Needless to say this wasn't my favorite Scottish ale. It was just OK. Satisfying, I will leave it at that. The title of favorite Scotch ale still belongs(amazingly) to Sam Adams Scotch ale which I reviewed previously. I'm glad I didn't come JUST for the beer. Other Asian is always fun to see and the vibe of the place just seems homey like any good pub should. D brought her a cake again this year. Though not as elaborate as last year's Hello Kitty Beach scene cake, this one was a 2-4 person, elegant mini that she prepped during the epic Wedding Cake Weekend. I can gladly say we are both glad that one is over.

Overall: 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment