Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Victory Brewing Hopdevil

I won't lie, I picked this one up because I liked the picture and the name. I mean what's not to like about a devil made with hops cones? Awesome. It helped that it was brewed by Victory which I've enjoyed in the past but really it was all about Beelzebub.

This was pretty well balanced leaning towards the bitter side. Just enough malty sweetness to render it a 1 or 2 bottle drinker if I had bought a six-pack.

Appearance: Dark copper, hazy, large slightly off-white head

Aroma: Pine, but not as much as some of the more recent IPA's I've been tasting. Some grapefruit and a little floral. Nice smell. It didn't smell like a Hop Hand Grenade like so many of the West Coast IPA's.

Taste: Really good. Not as balanced as the Deschutes Hop Henge(#1 IPA in my book). It didn't have that malty sweet note that tones down the bitterness but it wasn't an all-out taste bud assault either. Somewhere in a nice place in the middle between Hop Henge and West Coast IPA from Green Flash. Believe me, you do NOT want to be more bitter than that West Coast IPA was, unless of course you don't feel like tasting your food afterwards.

Overall: 3.5/5 This is probably my 3rd favorite IPA of all time. Hop Henge #1 and Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA #2. Really good company to be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment