Friday, April 23, 2010

J Winery at Disneyland's Wine and Food Festival

 D and I's favorite sparkling wine in a close run with Mosby's Stelline is J Winery's Cuvee 20 from the Russian River Valley. Their iconic swooping yellow J on the voluptuous bottle jumps out at you from the shelves and screams, "Pick me!" So when D found out that the vintner was going to be doing a FREE tasting and discussion at the yearly food festival at California Adventures in Disneyland we dropped our plans and headed over. This is much easier when you have a yearly pass like we do.
The festival draws a "veritable pantheon of culinary giants" to quote Alton Brown and Iron Chef America. There are all kinds of celebrity chefs giving classes and demonstrations. It's over a month long and the offerings run the gamut from beer education to 5 star restaurant dinners with pairings.













D and I had the opportunity to sit on the J tasting where we were lucky enough to taste their pinot noir(WAAAY too oaky), their pinot grigio(surprisingly tasty, although it still smells like feet), and their flagship Cuvee 20 sparkling(Delicious, biscuity, yeasty, goodness). We got a free cheese plate from a Disney worker before we went in to taste too! Score!





Here's a picture of my tasting notes.

















They also serve a smattering of dishes throughout the festival. D tried the beer cheese soup and I had some seared ahi. The ahi was meh but the cheese soup was great according to D

 Ahi, pale, pale ahi. Can you find it? The slaw was good though.
The Beer Cheese Soup in a Bread Bowl

1 comment:

  1. Pinot Noir has definitely changed since the first time I tried it... oak forward is something that I don't appreciate in my Pinot's whether it's 2x4 or actually oak tree! But the Sparkling was fantastic as always and the Pinto Gris was good (and I normally hate Pinto Gris). Beer cheese soup - I will be having you again before the end of the festival :)

    ReplyDelete