Friday, April 9, 2010

Deschutes Brewing Hop Henge IPA

This is the second beer in Deschutes lineup called their "Bond St. Series" that I have reviewed. The first being their ode to fresh hops, Hop Trip. Let me start off by saying that I am a bit biased towards Deschutes, having grown up skiing at Mt. Bachelor in Bend, Or. I have had many a Black Butte Porter from here and in fact that is my mom's favorite beer.

I shared this 22 with The Jew as she had brought us brisket over for dinner. No, I am not kidding, she is a vegan Jew who brought D and I brisket. Who am I to say no to brisket from a Jewish mother's kitchen? I have all kinds of Yiddish rolling around in my head right now. Anyway, being the hop head that she is she was stoked to have some of this.

Appearance:  Caramely, coppery with an off white head

Aroma: MMMmmmmm....It's an IPA so of course there is pine but it's not overpowering. There was a floral aspect to it and a little citrus. I knew right away that this beer was going to be balanced despite being 93 IBU's because I could smell the malt mixed in with the herbaceous hops. I was really stoked to dive into this one.

Taste: Can I say MMMmmmm again? Redundant, but MMMmmmmm...this is so well balanced! If you are a hop head it might not satisfy you but I was in heaven. Slightly creamy body, perfectly light carbonation. Caramel and a little sweetness on the front end and piney bitter on the back end. Looong finish. I did not want this 22 to end. I KNOW it was good because the Jew refilled her glass before I had finished mine. That. Good.

Overall Rating: 4.5/5 I have to leave room for improvement.

Oh and the food at their brewpub is outstanding if you are ever out in Bend it is definitely worth a lunch time trip. The Black Butte Porter Mustard? I think I would drink it if I thought people wouldn't lock me up in a mental institution somewhere.

1 comment:

  1. This is THE JEW. I’m pretty critical when it comes to my hops and this bad boy did not disappoint. Beautifully balanced.

    Hop Henge IPA. Balanced. Vegetarian Jew. Apparently not so balanced. I mean, how many vegetarians love their friends (and opportunities to share IPA's with them) so much that they bring over their moms big beefy passover brisket? That’s love guys.

    ReplyDelete