Thursday, August 26, 2010

Great Basin Brewing Reno, NV

Great Basin Brewing has been around for a while apparently but I'd never heard of it. There new brewpub opened up just recently so my mom and I took the opportunity to try out some of their beer(love my mom) and see what all the fuss was over this "Icky."













I grew up making the trek to Reno once every couple months because for the most part Susanville doesn't have ANYthing except for fast food and grocery stores. Oh and about 50 Mexican restaurants, go figure.

Allright so the brewery looks almost exactly like BJ's Pizza from the outside, not a good sign seeing as I think BJ's is pretty awful. Typical brewpub interior. I liked the signs for the brews of the day hanging from chains in the middle of the room.

Mom and I sat down and ordered tasters of the porter, red and their IPA called "Ichthyosaur." I actually wasn't real excited with any of them. The porter was the best of the bunch but my mom is a dark beer fan and I knew she would order it so I went with the "icky" Why anyone would name a beer something that: A) I had to look up to spell right and B) shorten it to an adjective for something gross? The saving grace of Great Basin is that they have short pours of 10 oz for cheap. Perfect for lunch time.

I was excited about what I was going to order for food too. I love sausage. Get your mind out of the gutter people. And Great basin had a sausage sampler of smoked bratwurst, sweet Italian, Cajun
andouille and German Mike’s Thuringer. I've never heard of Thuringer but of course Wikipedia has.

Only finely minced pork, beef, or sometimes veal, is used in production. In addition to salt and pepper, caraway, marjoram, and garlic are used. The specific spice mixtures can vary according to traditional recipes or regional tastes. At least 51% of the ingredients must come from the state of Thuringia. Apparently it's German, is weird because it has marjoram in it, and its very lowfat compared to most German sausages.

Well, I liked that sausage but the other ones were somewhat of a disappointment. Are we noticing a trend about this place yet? The best thing about this whole place was that I got to spend time with my mom. Yes, ladies and gentleman I AM a family guy. Love my dad love my mom. So any time is quality time.

I'll leave you with this sign which was over the bathroom entrance.

1 comment:

  1. I like the sign hanging over the bathroom door... that is hilarious! Love you! ~Your wife

    ReplyDelete