Monday, January 18, 2010

Green Flash Brewing West Coast IPA


Maybe my judgement was a bit skewed after downing a
Unibroue Trois Pistoles(Review to come) but I asked the server at The Haven in Orange for an IPA recommendation. Bad Move. I don't know what it is but I never have a good experience when I ask someone else to make choices for me. Point in case, this nuclear hop bomb laying waste to anything in its path, namely, my palate. It poured beautiful but I could hear my tastebuds screaming for mercy after the second sip. The only reason it wasn't the first sip is I think they were struck deaf, dumb, and blind with the first wave of unbalanced bitterness. If taste buds could wave white flags my little guys were frantically showing the international sign for conceding defeat. I love IPA and I love hops but this one was bitter for the sake of being bitter. I've had some astronomical IBU's (Dogfish Head 90 and 120 minute IPA anyone?) and this one clocking in at 95 had them ducking and covering. There was just no balance of hops and malt. I can drink a 90 minute, enjoy each sip and want another one but Green Flash's offering had me questioning my hops allegiance. I finished it, barely, and only because I come from the Old School...
Will Ferrell's Old School... not Grandpa's. No wounded soldiers!
('DiggThis’)

No comments:

Post a Comment