Thursday, February 18, 2010

Jew Beer...He'Brew Rejewvenator Hybrid Lager/Ale

The old adage, "Never judge a book by its cover," could not apply more aptly in the case of this half dopplebock, half Belgian style dubbel from He'Brew Brewing. I literally picked this beer up completely as a joke at BevMo as I was walking to check out. D and I have a lot of Jewish friends and  we kid back and forth about religion, race, ethnicity etc. I wish that everyone was as open-minded about these topics as our group is. We would have a lot less problems in the world.

As my mom is famous for saying, "Our little multicultural family" is going to have the cutest kids on the planet. But I digress, I've been in baby mode for the last few days since our German friends have brought their cute little new addition stateside for the first time. I feel like an uncle which is weird. Maybe the Hawaiian part of the family is rubbing off? How many Aunties and Uncles can one family have? I can't keep D's side of the family straight. I already told her I get a pass on names because there are waaaaaay too many to remember at our wedding.

Wow, I REally got off topic there. Back to the Jew Beer as I fondly call it. This poured a really nice coppery red color which was lighter than I expected. It had a decent sized head that was gone pretty quickly but left an aroma of chocolate and cherries that was just fabulous. This tasted almost like a "Three Philosophers" from Brewery Ommegang. It had that hint of Cherry Kriek Lambic on the back end of the finish. Malty, but not too sweet, it had a nice body with a relaxed effervescence that really allowed the taste to shine. Milk chocolate and cherries, mmmm. This one was a winner. Too bad it's a seasonal. I'll be sure to pick up more than one next year.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there. This is Zak Davis from Shmaltz Brewing Company. Thanks so much for reviewing Rejewvenator. We look forward to brewing it every year. Being a seasonal, we'll be changing the recipe and the fruit this year, so make sure to keep your eyes open. L'Chaim!! ~Zak

    ReplyDelete