Thursday, February 11, 2010

Zaca Mesa 2006 Mourvedre

I'm just going to jump right in here and say that this Mourvedre from Zaca Mesa was amazing. D and I received this bottle originally as one of our selections from the Zaca Mesa Cellar Club. We enjoyed it so much that I immediately called to hold another bottle to be shipped with our next shipment. This wine was made in limited quantities so I wanted to be sure to get another one before it was sold out, which, at this time, sadly it has.

The shipment of our Cellar Club selections is always a bit problematic since the educational system seems to frown on alcohol being present around minors(although I had a Spanish teacher in high school that, for reasons that have become clear to me, kept a bottle of tequila in her desk) and receiving the shipment requires a signature. Through a series of snafu's our shipment, that was supposed to be sent to D's work, was sent to our house, where nobody was, on a Friday. Which meant that now, our wine, would be sitting who knows where, in who knows what type of conditions, at the UPS loading docks, ALL weekend. I was to say the least, not pleased. 

Like all of ZM's offerings, mourvedre is a classic Rhone varietal, however it is grown internationally. It's often times blended with grenache to soften up the tannins and provide a wider spectrum of flavors and aromas. This bottle however is 100% mourvedre which led to a very classic aroma and taste. The first wiff off the top of the glass was beautiful. Deep, dark, earthy smell, hints of chocolate, a little leather. I literally remarked to D that I could just smell it all night. I haven't had many wines with that much depth of aroma. The taste easily stood up to the aroma. Hints of choclate, soft red fruit, layers of earthiness, granite , and a finish that lasted for what seemed like minutes. Great wine, I wish I could have bought a case. 

2 comments:

  1. nice writing, nice wine, gotta love a good mourvedre!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mourvedre. Sounds like a nice bottle. Too bad it's sold out, I'd love to find one for my Mourvedre Monday series on my blog.

    ReplyDelete