Sunday, February 7, 2010

Stone Vertical Epic 9.9.09

This one was great and probably was that much better because of the company it came with. I actually had this one last year over Thanksgiving weekend. The girls went to "tea" and I thought, hmmmm, Earl Grey or English Ale? Rooibos or Irish Red? I think you know where I'm going with this one. I definitely think that a scone pairs much better with a doppelbock than a double bag of black. So with that in mind my brother(Littlesorta T) and my dad headed over to the Haven. I ordered a La Chouffe in a bottle, my dad had bottled Stone Levitation and on draft I was surprised my brother actually ordered something that didn't look like carbonated wizz water. He had the Vertical Epic 9.9.09.

Since 2002 Stone has put out a dated bottle one year, one month, and one day later with 09.09.09 being the eighth edition. The idea being that you buy at least two of these bottles each year and save one for a vertical tasting of all 11 on 12.12.12.
All of the choices are bottle conditioned and designed to be cellared for that long. Yes, beer can be cellared. I have in my possession a couple bottles that are putting some age on them right now(mmm...Abyss).
09.09.09 clocks in at 8.6 ABV and is classified as a Belgian Strong Ale. It pours out inky black with a tall tan head. First wiff? Chocolate, bready Belgian yeast, a little coffee, citrus(hops), and a tinge of alcohol. Pretty heavy silky body with not much carbonation surprisingly. This ended up being the favorite of the three although I still stand by my gnome.


No comments:

Post a Comment