Saturday, February 27, 2010

2007 Zaca Mesa Z Gris

I don't know what comes over me when I get around good wine. I'm normally a really frugal, level headed, non-spender. I still have jeans from high school! Yes they fit, no, they do not have holes in them, no they are not acid washed, no they are not "Hammer Style" with the elastic waist and cuffs. Good wine seems to bring out my inner high roller.

Case in point, this Z Gris. No, it's not an expensive wine by any means but I don't do things like buy a case of wine, 3 bottles, and a wine club membership all in one trip. Not to mention the case of Mosby Wine and a membership to their club too. Which is what I did.

I learned an interesting fact about wine production and sales when I bought this case. ZM had it on fire sale essentially because they had overproduced and they needed room in their storage. If they didn't sell out that weekend the wine would be, cue dark music, DESTROYED! That's right, they would trash this wine for the insurance money is what they told me. I wish I could do that. I mean think about it. I have insurance on my car, if I bought ANOTHER car I wouldn't have room in my garage for the little toaster I have now. BUT, following ZM's lead I could destroy the little toaster car to MAKE room and get money for doing it. Awesome!

Z Gris is a Rose blend of 96% Grenache and 4% Mourvedre. It's only available part of the year and it's not available every year so that's why when you see it you have to jump on it. At least that's what I told myself when I looked at my credit card statement.

Z Gris is a great wine to pair with a light summer salad, poached fish, or a simple roasted chicken. It has a bright acidity up front that gives way to strawberry, some citrus, and a touch of melon. It's easy to drink and should be served slightly chilled. Not cold, slightly chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment